Saturday, September 11, 2010

Just because you're an engineer does not mean you get to call things by their scientific names gosh darnit!

Actually, the title of this post is slightly misleading, because the friend that I found standing in my kitchen this week was not an engineer parse.  He was in fact a chemist, but that's besides the point.  We were dining informally, that is we were standing at the counter helping ourselves, apparently graduating from university and eating dignified and cultured food does not in fact make us dignified and cultured adults.  There were fresh peaches from the farmer's market, and a delightful Camembert that we were spreading on fresh Sourdough bread from the local market.  Now this isn't a particularly uncommon occurrence in and of itself, but what made this day interesting was the quality of the bread.  If you've never had Sourdough made in San Fransisco, you need to travel there right away and have some, because it is the best in the world.  This bread that I was eating, hacking chunks off with a dull kitchen knife, was almost as good.  I was in heaven, and so was my chemist.

The difference between me and my engineers, is that I can stand there in the soft glow of the setting sun coming in through the tiny kitchen window and silently bask in the glory of Camembert on sourdough with a slice of fresh peach.  I have the ability to close my eyes and do nothing but experience the amazing flavors, the contrast of the sour and sweet, the crunch of perfect crust.  While I'm sure my engineers have as much appreciation for a thing of beauty as I do, they do not silently bask in the glory, they are compelled to tell you why it is so wonderful, ideally in words you won't recognize.

"This is great Lactobacillus sanfranciscensis," he says.  "Isn't it great that we live close to its natural habitat?"


At this point I have to take a deep breathe.  I know what he means.  Isn't it wonderful that we live close enough to San Fransisco to enjoy amazing sourdough.  I know it's in his nature to say things like this.  He has knowledge he wants to share, or wants to make sure I know he knows.  It is a compulsion.  Well you'll forgive me but I'm feeling a compulsion of my own coming on.  I feel a great need to...

Dear Chemist Friend,

Quit being a smartass.

Yours truly,
That one girl with the kitchen

P.S.
You are welcome back any time, just bring more cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment