Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Playing with Fire

One of the things I never learned to do was barbecue. I was never really allowed to touch the exalted black box. It wasn't because the men in my life thought I couldn't or shouldn't, it was just because they really really wanted to. They loved to play with fire, so I never got to. Even on camping trips, if I wanted to start the campfire myself I had to be the first one awake and do it very quietly before my engineer brother woke up and took over.

So today when I decided to have burgers for dinner, there wasn't really a question of who would actually man the grill. R_ didn't even ask me if I wanted his help. In his worldview It isn't a question. He's an engineer, of course I would appreciate his help.

The first thing he noticed about my barbecue was that it was "hardwired." Typical not to notice the pretty plants around or the beautiful stone tables, but the fact that my barbecue had a direct gas line, that he noticed.

The burgers turned out perfect and were in fact delicious. Overall the experience was not nearly as frustrating as it could have been. Someday I'll wake up early in the morning and sneak outside. Alone in the world I will learn to cook with fire by myself without the hovering presence of an engineer. I will learn to barbecue. Until that day comes, I'll just have to take deep breaths and let the boys play with the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment